Thursday, September 4, 2008

Call for Nominations

LIVESTRONG KU is now accepting nominations for officers for the 2008-2009 school year. Nominate yourself or a friend for one (or more) of the following positions:

- President
- Vice President for Programs
- Vice President for Communications

Since LIVESTRONG KU is a new campus organization, officer roles and responsibilities will evolve throughout the year to fit the needs of the organization. Officers for the 2009-2010 school year, and each year following, will be elected near the end of the spring semester.

Nomination Procedures: Using the "Comments" link below, submit a comment that includes the nominee's name, the office (or offices) applicable to your nomination, as well as a brief statement (fewer than 200 words) describing why the nominee should become a leader in the fight against cancer. This may include a personal cancer story or describe the nominee's past leadership experience. It may introduce ideas for giving LIVESTRONG KU a powerful voice on campus, or none of the above. It can be as simple as "I live strong for my mom." Officer elections will take place by e-mail on September 11. Questions? Contact David Johnston, Advisor, at 864-4764.

1 comment:

Matthew Elliott said...

My name is Matthew Elliott and I am nominating myself for President, or Vice President for Communications. I know that I can help be a voice for this group and I am a passionate leader. At first I thought I wasn't worthy of being an official in this group since I have not personally battled with cancer myself. Then I realized that it doesn't matter whether or not I have fought the battle. I have had so many family members and friends fight (and a couple of them succeed.) My cousin gave birth to a baby boy a couple years ago, and he was recently diagnosed with cancer. He had a brain tumor and has been undergoing chemo for quite some time now. I saw him a couple times throughout the summer and he was so weak, but so optimistic. He was so young that he did not understand how gigantic his trial was. Now my mom is worried because there is a spot on her upper chest that she believes is skin cancer. The doctors say it's pre-cancerous, but it keeps getting worse and the topical treatments aren't working. I feel that it is my responsibility to join a group such as Livestrong KU to help with the cause in anyway that I can. I am a sophomore, and I also feel that I was not involved as much as I should have been last year, and so I want to make up for it this year.